I've dealt with migraines for about 15 years. When they first came on, they hit about once a month. Eliminating coffee from my diet dropped it to once every 8-10 weeks. In the last few years, I get them about once every 3-4 months. Knock on wood.
I've tried lots of remedies including many different medications. I'm always interested in hearing other ideas, since they can be so devastating. But with this process, I've been able to limit their impact to just a couple hours, instead of a couple days.
When the aura starts, I quickly do these things:
- Take two liquid-gel ibuprofen.
- Do an intense workout for 1-2 minutes to get my heart rate up. I aim for 90-100 beats per minute - get the blood flowing.
- Get in a hot shower and let it warn my shoulders, neck and upper back (I imagine a steam room would work as well).
- I have a glass of water on hand throughout the process, drinking the whole time.
- I then put a damp heating pad across my shoulders and put it on high for about a half hour. After a half hour, I'll put it to medium or low.
- I'll massage my shoulders and neck throughout, as the heating pad loosens the muscles.
- Once the aura has passed, I'll leave the pad on for a while, still massaging my muscles.
For whatever reason, I've found this process helps dramatically. If you have ideas on how to combat the pain, please do share them here. Thanks!